[4.07] Opendata.ch/2019

On 4 July 2019, the Open Data Community of Switzerland will meet for its ninth annual exchange. This year we are guests of the SBB in Bern-Wankdorf. And together we dare to do something new.

For almost ten years we have been networking Open Data interested and committed people in Switzerland and beyond. With a multitude of centralised and decentralised events: Meetups, Hackdays and our annual conference. This year we are launching a new format to develop the conference programme in a participatory way with the participants, and to create more space for concrete exchange among each other.

The conference format “Unconference”, which we want to call “Forum”, differs fundamentally from conventional conferences: instead of following one-way communication and lectures from the stage to the plenum, the participants can contribute their own questions and challenges, experiences and competences and exchange ideas with those present on the topics that are most burning under their nails. They take new ideas and insights with them. They make and deepen contacts with like-minded people and experts.

The full announcement of this year’s annual conference program can be found in German on our blog. So save the date, and contact us if you are interested in being a community champion and supporting our outreach efforts!

I’ll also take this opportunity to announce here that I’m stepping out of the School of Data Working Group, and a seat on the board is vacant for someone who wishes to continue supporting our international data literacy program. I believe that with the new strategy, key aspects of our mandate have been incorporated into the key concerns of the association. In the months ahead, I plan to dedicate my time towards concrete open data projects. And of course, I don’t plan to stop teaching and running workshops and hackathons anytime soon!

One other consequence of this change is that I’m moving some of the SchoolofData.ch resources within the Opendata.ch fold, and asking the wider association to help use and translate and promote this common infrastructure - starting with this forum, which now runs under forum.opendata.ch. Old links should continue to work, but please let me know if you notice any issues.

In the meanwhile, here is a look back at last year’s un/conference in St. Gallen.

Repost of https://opendata.ch/2019/05/open-data-student-award-2019/

Open Data Student Award

Offene Daten ermöglichen mehr Transparenz, interdisziplinäre Innovation, Effizienz und ziviles Engagement. Um dieses Potenzial zu fördern, haben sich die Vereine Opendata.ch und CH Open entschlossen, einen Studierenden-Preis für Open Data Projekte zu vergeben. Dieser Preis steht für herausragende Anwendungen von offenen Daten in Lehre und Weiterbildung. Als Sponsoren mit dabei sind die SBB, die Swisscom, die Post sowie Netcetera.

Mit dem Award wird eine studentische Arbeit ausgezeichnet, die zuhanden der Gewinner mit einem Preisgeld in der Höhe von insgesamt CHF 1000 (von oben genannten Firmen) honoriert wird.

Die Auszeichnung erfolgt anlässlich des Opendata.ch/2019 Forums am 4. Juli 2019 in Bern.

Vergabe-Kriterien

Die studentische Arbeit verwendet in beispielhafter Weise Open Data und/oder Open Government Data (OGD) mit Bezug zur Schweiz. Sie verwendet wo sinnvoll Datenvisualisierung und offene Standards (Dateiformate, Webdienste).

Das Ergebnis kann eine schriftliche Arbeit oder eine Applikation sein. Sie steht idealerweise für Open Science was auch Open Source einschliesst und ist reproduzierbar inklusive Rohdaten und Programmskripte. Bewertet werden die Neuartigkeit, die Kreativität, die Wirtschaftlichkeit, die Dokumentation, die Praxisrelevanz, wie auch die vorbildliche Nutzung von OD oder OGD. Der/die Verfasser/in der Arbeit erklären sich mit der Eingabe sowie der Veröffentlichung der Arbeit und der Medien (Fotos und Videos) einverstanden.

Teilnahmeberechtigung

Teilnahmeberechtigt sind alle Studierenden einer Schweizer Hochschule. Folgende Formen sind erlaubt:

• Studienleistung einer Hochschule (inkl. CAS)
  • Übungs- oder Praktikumsarbeit
  • Semesterarbeit, Bachelor- oder Masterarbeit
  • Private Arbeit von einem aktuell immatrikulierten Studierenden

Nominierung und Einreichung

• Kurzbeschreibung (One Pager) inkl. Abbildung
  • Studienleistung (PDF und/oder Link zur App)

Die Einreichung muss vor dem 21. Juni 2019 vollständig und fristgerecht durch den Studierenden erfolgen. Einreichung per Mail an rahel.ryf@opendata.ch. Der Preis wird im Rahmen des Opendata.ch/2019 Forum am 4. Juli vergeben. Die Präsenz des Gewinners wird erwartet. Der Gewinner wird im Vorfeld benachrichtigt. Über die Preisvergabe wird keine Korrespondenz geführt.

Jury

Daniel Krebser
Founder/Owner/Managing Partner ATIZO

Patricia Spitz-Lehmann
Leiterin IT Innovation SBB AG

André Golliez
Co-Founder / Managing Partner Zetamind
Vorstand Opendata.ch

Jannis Valaulta
CH Open Vorstandsmitglied

Prof. Stefan Keller
Informatik-Professor, HSR Rapperswil

On the Friday ahead of the Opendata.ch/2019 unconference two weeks ago, @ake @n0rdlicht and I along with several others got together in Bern for a preparatory workshop. Andreas introduced us to the crowd-sourcing techniques of Liberating Structures and #OneTeamGov, whose fresh new approach we were trying at our event.

Intermediary statistics via Andreas’ tweets

• 58 Bern-Mittelland
  • 7 Romandie (French-speaking Switzerland)
  • 10 Central Switzerland
  • 8 East Switzerland
  • 54 Zürich area
  • 2 Northwest Switzerland
  • 1 Austria :austria:
  • 2 Germany :de:
  • 16 students/studying
  • 44 @OpendataCH association members
  • around 21% female participants

Here are some tweetpressions of the event:

A quick bit of weekend fun. Feel free to remix! Links to sources at Vimeo.

Today we released data, analysis and next steps from the unconference on our blog. We hope that in future many more insights and initiatives will emerge on this basis. I used the opportunity to publish the data using the new DataHub portal from Open Knowledge / Datopian:

As well as start a GitHub repository where in the future more statistics about the association could be compiled as Data Packages: